John Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>An alternative hypothesis, that he's really Marley's ghost, seems ruled out
by the absence of chains.

mmmm....

point taken.

>the famous fourteenth-century bust of St. Agatha at Catania:
> http://www.cataniaperte.com/santagata/reliquie/reliquie.htm

i take it that she's covered by jewelry given over the centuries, not (mostly)
ones that were part of the original metalwork.

quite a few such gifts of rings and jewels given to the reliquary housing the
_camisia_ of the Virgin in Chartres

http://centrechartraine.freeservers.com/badges/forgeais2_29.jpg
(here depicted in a procession on a pilgrim's badge)

are noted in the cathedral necrology.

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]