thanks for raising this question. I am German but hadn't actually ever
thought about the origin of this tradition. Here is what I found about
it:

It seems that several traditions are merged here:

according to the Gallican rite, St. Martin's Day was the last feast
before the six-week period of Advent. Aside from the light symbolism
connected with this, the autumn fire/light festival is another source
of origin:
in some places in Germany people still jump across bonfires on St.
Martin's Day. These bonfires are first mentioned in the 15th century
and seem to have been "organised" by children and young men. Their
competitions to build the biggest bonfire frequently involved attempts
to steal wood from each other, and often ended in violence... The ash
from the fires was spread on the fields to guarantee a good harvest
the following year.

Today's tradition of children carrying lanterns (made of paper) is
inseparably linked to a re-enactment of St. Martin sharing his cloak.
The procession of children is led by "St. Martin" on horseback. This
seems to date back to the Düsseldorf area in the 1890s. Basically, the
adults took over, hoping to end the rather violent history of the
bonfires. They emphasised the Christian message of the legend of St.
Martin for educational purposes, and started organising the
processions in schools, parishes etc.

Some of the (many) songs do not have too much to do with St. Martin,
however. They are more about the children hoping that their lanterns
don't catch fire, or about comparing the light of the lanterns to the
light of the stars above.

Unfortunately, google does not provide any good pictures of the
processions. This is one of the best ones I could find:

http://www.klingenberg-main.de/images2/martinszug.jpg

and here's the url to the history of the bonfires/St. Martin's
processions, for those who read German:
http://www.klingenberg-main.de/amtsblatt/aktuelles_martinszug.htm

Donata Kick

> My question, however, concerns the other thing I know about St
Martin, which
> is the lanterns... German children, and children in Steiner schools
> everywhere, make little lanterns and carry them round  on St
Martin's day,
> singing a song about it. Does anyone know why? Or is it simply the
autumn
> fire/light festival attaching itself to a major saint in the same
way that
> it became attached to All Saints Eve in Scotland?
>
> Pat McIntosh-Spinnler

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]
> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
to:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]