From: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture on behalf of F. Thomas Luongo
Sent: Sun 2003-11-09 13:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Organization of medieval letter-collections

I have a question about medieval letter-collections with which I hope
someone can help me.

Some early manuscripts of the letters of Catherine of Siena, completed at
the end of the fourteenth century and beginning of the fifteenth century,
organize her letters ad statum.  Letters to ecclesiastics are presented
separated from letters to seculars, and within each larger grouping the
letters are presented according to a hierarchy of recipients: from Popes to
nuns, and from kings to ordinary secular women.  (I can give more details
if anyone is interested.)  This ordering principle was adopted for the
first large edition of Catherine's letters, by Aldus in 1500, and remained
the standard way of presenting Catherine's letters until the first attempts
at a chronological edition in the mid-19th century.

My question: can anyone give me examples of other medieval letter
collections (of any kind) ordered in this way?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Luongo

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]