  From: Christopher Wibberley
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:20 AM
  Subject: Berea sandstone

  Hi Ken and everyone,

  For stress-strain curves, if it's specifically Berea sandstone that you are interested in, Teng-Fong Wong (State University of New York at Stony Brook) and coworkers have published the sort of data you are looking for in a series of papers over the last decade or so. I'm not sure if they have data from unconfined tests, but they certainly have relatively low confining pressure axial deformation tests. I can't remember if they did the tests for different piston displacement rates, but I guess you could ask him directly.

  You could try the following refs ( I can't check them right now as they are still packed up in cardboard boxes!) :

  Wong, T.-F., David, C., and Zhu, W. (1997) The transition from brittle faulting to cataclastic flow in porous sandstones: mechanical deformation. Journal of Geophysical Research, 102, 3009-3025.

  Wong, T.-F., and Zhu, W. (1999) Brittle faulting and permeability evolution: hydromechanical measurement, microstructural observation, and network modeling. In W.C. Haneberg, P.S. Mozley, J.C. Moore, and L.B. Goodwin, Eds. Faults and Subsurface Fluid Flow, p. 83-99. AGU Monograph Series 113.

  Zhang, J., Wong, T.F., and Davis, D.M. (1990) Micromechanics of pressure-induced grain crushing in porous rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research, 95, 341-352.

  All the best,
  Chris

  Christopher A.J. Wibberley
  Laboratoire Géosciences Azur