Dear colleagues, In the frame of the 32nd International Geological Congress, we are organizing the following session within the Topical Symposium T11 (Geological Hazards: Assessment and mitigation) T11.08 Geological data and seismic hazard maps Abstracts will be accepted for either oral or poster presentations Detailed information concerning the Congress and submission of abstracts at: 0000,8000,0000http://www.32igc.org Deadline for applications, including abstracts, for the GeoHost program (providing limited funding for participating at the 32IGC) : NOVEMBER 30, 2003 Regular abstract submission deadline : January 10, 2004 Scientific Focus This session will examine ways that geological data can improve seismic hazard assessment by providing quantitative assessments of how geologically-recorded slip on active faults can be represented on seismic hazard maps. This symposium will focus on the latest scientific advancements concerning active faults and show how this knowledge can augment seismicity data. It is hoped that this will lead to generation of a new breed of seismic hazard maps incorporating not only the instrumental and historical catalogues but also the long term geological slip rate information and the influence of bedrock geology on the shaking intensity distribution. We anticipate presentations, which emphasize the roles of stress triggering, interferometry, geodetic data, structural and stratigraphic studies, geomorphology and paleoseismology as inputs into hazard maps. We also encourage presentations on the use of geological data for deterministic and probabilistic seismic hazard purposes. This symposium will be of broad interest for studies of active faults, plate tectonics, continental deformation, seismic hazard assessment, seismology, disaster management, earthquake engineering and geodesy. We look forward to receive your contributions many dear cheerings The Convenors Gerald Roberts (Birbeck and University College, London, UK, 0000,8000,0000[log in to unmask]), Ioannis Papanikolau (Birbeck and University College, London, UK, 0000,8000,0000[log in to unmask]), Alessandro Michetti (Università dell'Insubria, Como, Italy, 0000,8000,0000[log in to unmask]) PS - Excuse for multiple postings ------------------------- Alessandro Maria Michetti Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche Fisiche Matematiche Università dell'Insubria Via Valleggio, 11, 22100, Como, Italia direct calls: +039 031 326215 fax: +039 031 326230