Learning and Teaching Support Network Subject Centre for Geography, Earth & Environmental Sciences (LTSN-GEES)

***SECOND CALL***

'A stimulating and constructive workshop which will inform my practice.'
'A real opportunity to devote time to wrestling with an important issue'
'Practical and applicable ideas - inspiring!'

Background

These are typical comments on the LTSN-GEES programme of departmental workshops which we have delivered over the past three years to our GEES academic community. To date, we have co-ordinated and funded almost 60 workshops in GEES departments on subjects such as fieldwork, assessment, key skills, work-based learning, linking teaching & research and e-learning.

LTSN-GEES is now pleased to announce an extended series of workshops for 2003/2004. This programme has been designed to support further the GEES communities' learning, teaching and assessment needs.

How does it work?

In discussion with you and your colleagues, we will organise the logistics and particular emphasis of your workshop and select an appropriate member of the LTSN-GEES facilitator team to deliver it. This will ensure an approach that is both professional and tailored to your department's needs and circumstances.
In total, LTSN-GEES is able to provide 25 FREE departmental workshops across all GEES departments during 2003/2004 (October to July).
Due to popularity, we would encourage you to submit a request as soon as possible and free workshops will be offered primarily on a first-come, first-served basis (although we reserve the right to prioritise departments who have not so far benefited from our workshop programme). Please note, however, that if your application is not successful, we are still able to co-ordinate and deliver additional learning and teaching workshops if your department is able to cover the cost itself (a £350 fee, plus travel and accommodation for the facilitator, if necessary). Alternatively, unsuccessful departments will be prioritised for the free workshop programme next academic year.

Our deadline for LTSN-GEES funded workshop requests is: November 17th 2003.

Workshop Topics (October 2003 to July 2004)

*       Independent Learning
*       Fieldwork
*       E-Learning (3 variants)
*       Problem-Based Learning
*       Key Skills
*       Practicals and Laboratory Work
*       Student Transition and Retention
*       Learning Outcomes and Assessment
*       Work-based Learning
*       NEW! Developing an Inclusive Curriculum
*       NEW! Linking Teaching & Research
*       NEW! Personal Development Planning (PDPs)
*       NEW! Employability

For further details and to request a workshop, please visit: http://www.gees.ac.uk/workshops.htm and complete the registration form.

Kind regards,

Steve Gaskin