Dear Colleagues,

I have been promised the following four titles for review in 'Focus'.
Anyone who would like to receive a free copy in return for a brief (250-300
word) review, please contact me as soon as possible.

Prospective reviewers should be prepared to let me have their reviews by 3
January (I have not yet received the books, but will post them on as soon as
possible).

The books are:

1 - European Union Foreign and Security Policy: Towards a Neighbourhood
Strategy, by Roland Dannreuther.  240 pages, published by Routledge at
£14.99.
"The end of the Cold War presented a major challenge to Western Europe and
to the European Union. It led not only to a whole new set of countries
seeking to join the EU but also to a strong demand for a more intensive EU
engagement in the broader regional context. This book assesses whether the
EU has successfully faced up to this challenge and has adapted its policies
towards its immediate neighbourhood in a coherent and strategic manner."

2 - Report on the State of the European Union 2003-2004, edited by Jean-Paul
Fitoussi and Fiorella Schioppa.  288 pages, published by Palgrave Macmillan
at £55.
"The yearly report aims to examine the progress of European integration and
focus on economic aspects of the process. The report will be written in an
accessible way focusing on different topics each year depending upon their
relevance and current importance. The report will be a useful resource for
academics and policymakers, journalists, and government advisors."

3 - Transport Policy in the European Union, by Handley Stevens.  296 pages,
published by Palgrave Macmillan at £52.50.
"This book explores why European transport policies, caught in a complex web
of practical, political and institutional pressures, were so slow to develop
until driven forward with the internal market, and why any comprehensive and
coherent policy may still prove elusive."

4 - Destination Europe: The Political and Economic Growth of a Continent, by
Kjell M. Torbiorn.  256 pages, published by Manchester University Press at
£14.99.
"Destination Europe interprets and interrelates the major political,
economic and security developments in Europe - including transatlantic
relations - from the end of the Second World War up until the present time,
and looks ahead to how the continent may evolve politically in the future
... Comprehensive, detailed and accessible, this book is a perfect
introductory level text for undergraduate students of European politics and
European history."

Please feel free to contact me if you have any query.

Regards,

Eric

---
Eric Davies
European Information Services
PO Box 28
Mold
CH7 6FE
UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1352 753 139
Fax: +44 (0) 1352 757 655
www.lightoneurope.com
'Shedding light on Europe':
services for providers and users of EU information:
writing, research, training, current awareness,
web design (e.g. www.eia.org.uk, www.leeds.ac.uk/jmce)