----- Original Message -----
From: "Fifor Mihai" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 12:22 PM
Subject: [balkans] CfP: Death and Orient, Craiova (Romania), 5-8.5.2003

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> It is our great pleasure to let you know that, from 05 to 08 May 2003, The
Centre for Studies in Folklife and Traditional Culture of the County of
Dolj, an academic institute for studies in ethnology and anthropology, will
organise in Craiova, Romania the international seminar "Death and Orient/La
mort et l'Orient". Our seminar's aim is to create a debate framework for
academics both from Romania and from abroad that are concerned with such a
complex topic as death and its representations.

> If in Western Europe death was the subject of some very interesting
academic debates and papers, despite of a constant interest shown to this
research topic by the scholars in the Eastern Europe, the results of the
research work in this part of the continent are far from being known enough
to the international academic community. The variety of documentation
sources and the persistence of some funeral rituals and usage in this area
which are far from having eroded their significance entitle the idea of
constructing a research field at least as interesting as that one in the
Western Europe. Only the comparative evaluation of the research results will
offer a general view of the dialogue the European societies developed with
the idea of death, this process specific features and joint aspects.

> Our intention is that the participants in the seminar (ethnologists,
anthropologists, historians, philologists, art historians etc.) should
discuss the results of their research work stressing on: sources of their
research, methodological aspects of their work, the usefulness of a
multi-disciplinary approach of this field. Papers will be given in English
or French and they are not to exceed 20 minutes of time. In order to improve
communication we are going to edit and publish the volume of the seminar in
advance, so that each participant should have it in its conference
portfolio. That is why the paper to be presented during the conference, the
in extenso copy, should be submitted to our editorial board by February
28th, 2004.

> The submitters should send the papers to the publisher at the following
address:

> - Mihai Fifor, manager
>
> - Nicolae Mihai, editor in chief
>
> Centrul Creatiei Populare Dolj (The Centre for Studies in Folklife and
Traditional Culture of the County of Dolj)

> 28 Alexandru Macedonski Street
> 1100 Craiova-Romania
> Tel./fax. +40 251 524844, +40 251 523053
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> The organisers will cover all the accommodation expenses.
>
> The deadline for registration and sending the tentative title of your
paper is December 1st 2003.

> Looking forward to hearing from you,
> Truly yours,
>
> Mihai Fifor, Ph.D.
> Researcher
>
> Manager of the The Centre for Studies in Folklife and Traditional Culture
of the County of Dolj, Romania