(Apologies for cross posting)

Dear all,

I am posting this message to request assistance in my current research endeavours. I am presently studying for a Historical Studies MA at the University of Hull. My dissertation (tentatively monikered ‘The Cult of Television Archaeology’) will be attempting to ascertain the implications and contributions of the recent surge in archaeological television broadcasts (UK) to the discipline of archaeology, specifically in relation to their effects on the opinions of the general public.

A fundamental premise of my work is that the vast majority of the general public now obtain most of what they know (however much that may be) about archaeology through the television. The study will be attempting to evaluate the effect television archaeology has had on raising public awareness of the discipline and how this awareness is manifested (numbers of volunteers and memberships to local/national archaeological societies, even A-Level and degree choices). I am also interested in the relative accuracy of these broadcasts and the level of responsibility television companies take regarding safeguarding the integrity of the discipline when using archaeology as entertainment.

Having already gathered information from members of the public via a questionnaire, I would be very interested to hear the opinions of amateur or professional archaeologists on this matter. Any insights or comments, positive or negative, regarding such programmes and their effects, either from individuals who have been involved in television archaeology or simply from interested observers, would be most helpful. As yet, aside from a handful of articles and critical reviews, I am finding written work explicitly covering television archaeology quite scant, in light of which I would also be very grateful for any publications that may spring to mind.

Please feel free to respond on or off list.

Thank you in anticipation of your cooperation,

Kathryn Dray

Get a free connection, half-price modem and one month FREE, when you sign up for BT Broadband today!