----- Original Message -----

Now, NICE guidelines. Our Radiology manager has agreed to most of the
indications for scan within one hour but has objected to :-  a) Knocked out
plus age>65 b) Knocked out plus on anticlogs. Note that this is the manager
because the radiologists have so far declined even to talk about it. How
goes it in the rest of the country? [John Paskins]

Well that's very interesting, John. Perhaps you should point out that a
normal CT in such patients will generally allow their safe discharge. Is
this particular manager aware that any resource savings with respect to
imaging will probably result in resource usage with respect to beds? Of
course, if your trust doesn't have a bed problem then this is a reasonable
approach to take. Most trusts, however, do have severe capacity problems
with respect to beds, and most would sensibly opt to scan and discharge
where possible. Or is this particular manager simply suggesting that you
don't scan them but send them home anyway? This, in particular, needs to be
clarified (see below).

Managers may not be scared of doctors, but they are sure as hell scared of
lawyers. [Tom Hughes]

Spend lots of money now to fully implement guidelines or possibly spend
lots later if something goes wrong! [Fred Cartwright]

Quite! But it's not just a matter of taking the attitude "what the hell,
I'm insured, aren't I?". Certainly, managers do not have to bear the triple
burden of responsibility that doctors do, i.e. civil litigation, criminal
prosecution and GMC censure, not to mention our ethical responsibilities!
But perhaps management should be gently reminded that, while they may be
indemnified against civil damages, it remains unclear as to whether other
actions might result from their reckless or dangerous management
decisions...

Adrian Fogarty