John,

Four years ago I approached an active local aviation archaeology group to
see if they would assist me in compiling SMR records for crash sites in the
Peterborough area. I offered to alert them if any came under development
threat (a bomb laden Lancaster turned up during quarry excavations a few
years ago). They had done a huge amount of research in pin-pointing sites,
but were not prepared to release the information, fearing looters, rival
groups, and interference from heritage authorities. They were extremely
helpful, however, in helping me to put together an aviation heritage
exhibition, providing information on some of their excavations and loaning
artefacts.

I have now recorded a few crash sites on the SMR (from a Tiger Moth to a
USAF Starlifter!) from various sources, but have received no information in
the last year. However, I have no reason to believe that any aircraft
excavations took place in my 'patch' during the last year.

There is a strong analogy with the metal detector finds reporting issue here
- people wishing to protect 'their' sites from the attentions of others.

Regards,
Ben

*** Private And Confidential Notice ***
The information contained in this E-MAIL is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action or reliance on it.
If you have received this E-MAIL in error, please notify the sender immediately by using the E-MAIL address or on +44 (0) 1733 452411