Stanley Wells, "By the Placing of His Words," TLS 5243 (26 Sept. 2003): 14-15.

Wells describes a manuscript treatise by William Scott entitled "The Model
of Poesy or the Art of Poesy drawn into a short or summary discourse" (c.
1600). "Perhaps of greatest interest to modern readers are a number of
previously unrecorded allusions to the drama, and especially to
Shakespeare." The document is in private and anonymous hands, but Wells
quotes from bits and pieces. The important bit, for our purposes, is the
following. Spenser's SC, says Scott, is a species of "low comedy" and
"imitates the ancients so well that I know not if he comes behind for any
apt invention; only for his affecting old words and phrases" (qtd. on p.
14; spelling is modernized).

This was Sidney's complaint, and Scott may have picked it up from the
Apologie (which he quotes "frequently"). So, in one sense, there's nothing
new here. On the other hand, electrons are cheap, and it's a complaint that
one hears with increasing frequency as the century unfolds.

David Wilson-Okamura        http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
East Carolina University    Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c