> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Might not this expression, altar of the poor, perhaps be an anticlerical
> misunderstanding of sorts.

The expression was found in a novel by the famously anticlerical Zola, who
was, however, scrupulous about 19th-c. life in its details. I was just
wondering if this practice - if it ever existed - was a medieval
confection. I'm aware that certain churches, and certain parts of
churches, were off-limits to the laity, but not just to the poor laity,
and I'd have expected Zola to be aware of same also.
Thanks for the in-put,
MG

Monastic churches (except Cistercian ones)
> commonly had parishes attached to them, with the parish occupying, say,
> an aisle of the nave (the arrangements varied), while the high altar was
> usually reserved for the monastic community.  In a case like this, one
> can imagine the noble family of a founder or important benefactor having
> access to the high altar (their tombs were frequently located in the
> monastic choir), while the "poor" parishioners, would use an altar in
> the nave.  Something similar may also have pertained to cathedrals, but
> I am not so sure how cathedrals worked in relation to parishes.
> Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag

> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
> to: [log in to unmask]

This email was sent using FREE Catholic Online Webmail.
http://webmail.catholic.org/

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]