Today (20. October) is the feast day of:

Artemius the Great Martyr (d. 363)  I confess I don't know how he got this
soubriquet.  Artemius was an important Roman courtier who served as prefect
of Egypt under Constantius.  He was an Arian and persecuted Athansius and
co. whil he was in Egypt.  He was beheaded for his Christian beliefs in the
reign of Julian and is venerated in the eastern church as a martyr.

Andrew the Calabite (d. 766)  Andrew was a Cretan monk.  He went to
Constantinople and publicly denounced iconoclasm.  Emperor Constantine V
had him tortured, then handed him over to a mob of iconoclasts who hounded
him through the city and then lynched him.

Aderald (d. 1004)  A great relic collector, Aderald, archdeacon of Troyes,
led a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and then founded the monastery of Holy
Sepulcher at Samblieres to house all the relics he had collected.

Adelina (d. 1125)  Adelina was the sister of Vitalis of Savigny.  She
became abbess of a convent her brother founded in Normandy.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]