I have a candidate term "buried land surface", yes I know that peat
layers may not strictly be "surfaces", but I am reluctant to call them
peat bogs, because they aren't anymore.

Thank you
David Evans
Historic Environment Record Officer
01454 863649

>>> [log in to unmask] 20/10/2003 08:43:05 >>>
Hello Folks

I was wondering how people are dealing with recording Environmental
data using the Monument Thesaurus. For example, we have a few examples
of e.g. Peat cores being taken and giving an idea of the landscape at
different periods, but I haven't yet figured out a good way for
recording these as monuments. My thinking is that they should be
monuments so that if someone searched on e.g. Mesolithic, the landscape
type data would show up. I have, however, not found anything really
suitable in the Monument Thesaurus to record these against. Any ideas on
this would be appreciated, even if they are only your own candidate
terms

thanks

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
SMR Computing Officer
Heritage Unit
North Yorkshire County Council
Direct Dial (01609) 532331
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/environment/heritage.shtm#Archaeology

North Yorkshire County Council has the right
and does inspect E-Government mails sent
from and to its computer system.

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the
view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.