On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Julie Parton wrote:

> John Beteman's "The Village Inn" .... nicely takes the micky out of
> Public Relations
>
> ...[quote]...
>
> Julie Parton

And Humbert Wolfe in Punch - some time in the 20s, I think - did the
same for that brand of PR known as journalism:

  You cannot hope to bribe or twist -
  Thank God! - the British journalist.
  But seeing what that man will do
  Unbribed, there's no occasion to.

And although it's not poetry, I can't resist Evelyn Waugh in "Scoop" on
ideology and journalism. You have to imagine the dialogue taking place
between two journalists eking out their boredom in a desolate bar in some
remote and fly-ridden remnant of Empire:

  "And all the papers have reports from three or four agencies?"
  "Yes."
  "But if we all send the same thing it seems a waste."
  "There would be a row if we did."
  "But isn't it very confusing if we all send different news?"
  "It gives them a choice. They all have different policies so of course
   they have to have different news."

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org
http://www.virtual-worlds.biz