Call for Suggested Contributions:

THIRD WORLD MEN: AN ANTHOLOGY

Please reply to Adam Jones [log in to unmask]

I have secured a contract from Zed Books to prepare an anthology of writing and reportage about men in the developing world, to be titled "Third World Men: An Anthology." A full description and outline of this project can be found at http://adamjones.freeservers.com/twm.html. I would like to invite all those interested in issues of gender, masculinities, and development in the Third World -- or simply familiar with interesting materials about the lives of Third World men -- to suggest material for inclusion in the volume.

"Third World Men" seeks to provide an intimate, up-close portrait of men's lives around the Third World, across a wide range of life experiences. In order to present the most diverse and vivid selection possible, the emphasis will be on concise, up-close accounts -- *personal testimonies and firsthand portraits* -- drawn from Third World and western media, development-oriented IGOs and NGOs, human rights reports, literary sources, and scholarly work across the social sciences and humanities. Excerpts will range from 250 to 1,500 words in length. I hope that the book will both contribute to the social-scientific literature on gender in the developing world, and be adopted as an undergraduate and graduate university text.

The basic structure of "Third World Men: An Anthology" is as follows: A framing introduction will be followed by four main sections, titled "Work & Recreation," "Family & Sexuality," "Governance & Conflict," and "Ritual & Belief." Within these sections, individual excerpts will be titled to suggest prototypical -- not stereotypical -- male identities and experiences. For example:

- Work & Recreation: "The Laborer," "The Migrant," "The Farmer," "The Boss," "The Artist," "The Football Coach," etc.
- Family & Sexuality: "The Boy Child," "The Father," "The Husband," "The Gay Man," "The Elder," etc.
- Governance & Conflict: "The Conscript," "The Warlord," "The Criminal," "The Prisoner," "The Refugee," etc.
- Ritual & Belief: "The Believer," "The Mullah," "The Fundamentalist," "The Circumcised," etc.

I would be extremely grateful to scholars, students, activists, and other interested readers for any materials they can suggest and/or provide for this project. Although I am by no means averse to using western sources (and will use many) when suitable, presenting a wide range of Third World voices will be critical to the project's success. I am particularly interested in writing and testimony that reflects the more quotidian, less obviously dramatic aspects of men's daily lives. I will undertake the necessary copyright-clearing procedures, and all outside contributions and recommendations will be acknowledged in the volume.

If, while reading this, your mind turns to an article you read a while ago, or passages in a scholarly work or novel, or a recent NGO report, or a favourite poem, or something you have written, or someone you've interviewed -- there is a good chance the material could be included in this or future editions of "Third World Men: An Anthology." Please contact me by email at <[log in to unmask]>. A mailing address appears at the bottom of this message.

Sincerely,

Adam Jones

Please find our disclaimer at http://www.disclaimer.nu.ac.za
<<<<gwavasig>>>>