From: Phil Barker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 October 2003 11:33
To: Niall Sclater
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: multiple instances of LOM elements etc

Hi Niall, hello Pierre, hello all.

I'm caught in two minds.

One mind thinks about the creation of metadata tools and records, and
this
mind says "keep it simple" use "en" unless the difference is really
significant. For example, I can imagine a spelling tutorial where en-US
vs
en-UK might matter! By extension it might matter in text-input
questions.

The other mind thinks about how metadata may be used by people who have
concerns which I shouldn't try to pre-judge, and that mind says be as
precise as is practitable (but don't be precise if it means being
innacurate). Systems can "dumb-down" the metadata if they don't care
about
the distinction, so Pierre might want to know about Flemish Vs Dutch
(both
nl in ISO639-2) but ignore the difference betweem US vs UK english
whereas
for us it could be the other way round.

Right now I don't have a strong preference for one approach or the
other. I
think in your case, Niall, either would work. You have a choice: risk
not
providing some of your users with information they would like or risk
having your metadata mangled by systems which haven't implemented the
LOM
with all the flexibility it should have. I don't have a strong feel for
how
many systems will have problems with en-GB, I hope it is none, perhaps
other folk on this list will be able to clarify one way or the other?

Phil.