The first programme in a new BBC2 series, 'Hidden Treasures', broadcast 2 Sept, featured recent investigation of a site in Hertfordshire where a metal detectorist had found six small gold votive plaques, engraved with figures and inscriptions, and a silver statuette of a goddess. The dig found several coins, and a Bronze Age chisel, and the base of the statuette. Most finds were dated to 2nd or 4th C AD, I think. Inscriptions on the plaques and base showed that the goddess's name was Senua - like many RB goddesses, she's not named at any other site.

Geophys showed that the ritual site was near a substantial settlement (not investigated). The site itself appears to have consisted of a circular ?walkway, about 15 metres across, paved with chalk, with a rectangular chalk platform at one side, and possibly walled, but without a 'temple' structure. At the centre of the circle, it's suggested, was a spring or boggy area into which the deposits were thrown from the platform.

Some meagre details on www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/treasure and the inevitable book accompanies the series.

I suppose the danger of invasion by unscrupulous detectorists makes broadcasting exact location impossible, but does anyone have further details?

Christine Buckley