Hi,

This looks to be the same problem as I saw installing some nodes. If it
drops you to the shell after the failure, try checking how the local
partitions are mounted. What I was finding was that the /boot partition
(mounted as /root/boot during the install) was being mounted as VFAT despite
the fact that it had just been formatted as ext3. Try 'umount /root/boot'
followed by 'mount /dev/hda1 /root/boot', if it's the same problem as I had
you should see a bunch of complaints and it won't mount correctly.

It appears to be something to do with a previous WIN98 install leaving bits
in the boot record or partition table.

I fixed it by going to the shell at the LCFG Install, Single Step or Shell
prompt and doing 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/had bs=512k count=100' to clean
the start of the disk. 'exit' should take you back to the install prompt and
after that it seems to work.

Yours,
Chris.
--
  Chris Brew  ([log in to unmask])  +44 1235 446326
  Particle Physics Department