If the definition of Knowledge is related directly to information (as often
seems to be the case, and was by BSI) then it makes nonsense of the
distinction between Knowledge and Information.

Knowledge is clearly something that is in people's heads.  Most would agree
that it therefore cannot be managed.

Information is something that can be recorded and/or transmitted.  Knowledge
can't.  At best, Knowledge is converted into Information and then someone
else forms their own Knowledge from that Information.

Most definitions of Knowledge Management essentially mean the same thing as
Information Management.  Some add some Human component.  IT has been the
biggest user of the KM term and they frequently promote their software or
hardware as the solution to KM, which is palpably nonsense.  Computers
really only deal with Data, not even Information, let alone Knowledge!

If KM can mean anything (and I'm not convinced it can as it is a tautology)
then it must be short-hand for a whole slew of components that just help
organisations work better - an umbrella term for things that were already
happening.

Whilst I dispute a literal interpretation of the term "Knowledge
Management", I do see some value in some of what is being done under that
heading and think that it may have some benefit, however I'm generally wary
of it as it means too many things and often means nothing.  It's too often
some supposedly fix-all solution that some "management guru" wants to use to
ride the latest bandwagon.

Some of you may be interested in the following article, with which I don't
completely agree, but it got me thinking about these issues:

http://informationr.net/ir/8-1/paper144.html

Grahame Gould
Records Manager
Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
115 Coolibah Drive
PO Box 614
Kununurra 6743

www.thelastfrontier.com.au

This email may contain confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact me.

The views expressed in this email may or may not be the official position of
SWEK.

Airnorth flies to Kununurra - contact QANTAS or your travel agent for
details