medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture In a message dated 9/23/03 12:02:34 AM GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Second, I've promised my cousin that there was a grand tradition of
vengeful saints (you get the premise of the horror film...), and I can
think of a few off the top of my head but they seem not quite right.  Can
anyone think of good examples of a vengeful martyr-saint who wrought
revenge, especially on someone who desecrated the church/relics/lands/etc.
of the saint.

One of my favourites is Cadog. A peasant who refused the saint live coals was burnt to death and his threshing floor cursed for ever; robbers who tried to make away with his monastery's goods were swallowed up by the earth; wolves that attacked his sheep were turned into stone; and King Rhun and his men were blinded when they attacked Cadog's barn. Cadog also burnt an insubordinate servant in a barn, caused the death of two of his disciples for leaving his book behind on Flatholm, and killed his steward for dereliction of duty.

Henry Gough-Cooper

P.S. That vengeful S. Faith that someone else mentioned wouldn't have anything to do with Faith the Naughty Slayer in "Buffy", would it??

visit the Scottish Place-Name Society website at
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/institutes/sassi/spns/index.htm
and the Scottish place-name newsgroup at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scotplace