On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:01:28 -0700 Phyllis wrote:
>Today (7. September) is the feast day of:

>John of Lodi (d. 1106)  John was a hermit for several years, then became a
>monk at Fonte Avellana under Peter Damian.  He wrote PD's vita, became
>prior in 1072, and served as bishop of Gubbio for the last year of his
>life.

For a guided tour of the Camaldolese monastery of Santa Croce at Fonte Avellana (starting with the scriptorium, of which John of Lodi was once director), go to:
http://www.fonteavellana.it/visita_guidata_parte_I.htm

And to see John himself, in repose at the cathedral of Gubbio, go to Bill Thayer's diary, 30 June 2000, at:
http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Biographical/Diary/edited/0600/30.html
and scroll down (it's the last jpeg on the page, two down from a very appealing lizard).

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]