> Guy of Durnes (blessed) (d. c. 1157)  Guy was a monk of Clairvaux, and a
> special favorite of St. Bernard.  He was sent to found the monastery of
> Cherlieu.

Not quite. The religious house of Cherlieu was already a Priory of
Augustinian canons founded c. 1127. (see appropriate entry in Gallia
Christiana vol 15 col 262) In 1130 they elected as a body to become
Cistercian monks. Guy was sent to become their first abbot. The former
Superior remained the prior under the new dispensation.

I am interested in this house at this period because according to a Swiss
tradition, Abelard's son was for a time a novice there.

> He also revised Cistercian chant at Bernard's request; his
> revision was approved at the general cahpter of 1150.

This ties in with the Cistercian influence on the liturgy &c the Paraclete
at this time.

Brenda M C

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]