> [Martyrs of September] (blessed (d. 1792)  Not medieval, but I thought
> others might find this as interesting as I did when I ran across it.  This
> is a group of 191 martyrs massacred by the Parisian mob on September 2 and
> 3 in 1792.  They had been imprisoned for refusing the oath to support the
> civil constitution of the clergy.  They included three bishops, 124
secular
> priests, and miscellaneous religious.  95 of them were killed at the
> Carmelite church, 72 at the Vincentian seminary, and 21 at St. Germain des
> Pres.  They were beatified in 1926.  It makes me feel rather better about
> the French Church in revolutionary times.]

Among whom I understand were forty Maurist Fathers, those great and
meticulous pioneers of mediaeval studies, originators of the Gallia
Christiana &c without whom our work today would be infinitely the poorer. So
yes, I think they SHOULD be included on our commem list.

Brenda M.C.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]