Can I put in a word for Library Systems suppliers here? If you are looking to what you might wish to do in the future, then discuss your thoughts/desires/assumptions etc. with as many system suppliers as you can, at the earliest possible stage. It takes time and money to develop new software and new features, and if you decide in two years' time that you want lots of new things quickly, you won't get them as quickly as you want or they won't be as good as they could be - or both. We can form a judgement about these matters but it's much better if we all have an open and sensible discussion now than run up against problems later.

Dan Holmes

Geac Software Solutions Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ciara Eastell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 September 2003 16:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tendering for a new Library Management System

A group of authorities in the South West, including the Foursite
Consortium, is currently starting to prepare a specification for a Library
Management System (LMS).

We have established a 'Blue Sky Thinking Group' to think the unthinkable in
terms of our requirements.  To help guide our thoughts in terms of where
libraries will be in 5-10 years time, we're using Framework for the
Future.

Whilst looking specifically at the outputs we require for our customers,
there are also a number of areas we're also interested in exploring, such
as RFID, smart cards, integration of LMS with Customer Relationship
Management (CRM) solutions and catalogues which seamlessly integrate
discovery of traditional library materials alongside electronic resources.

I would be very interested to hear from other library authorities who are
either currently embarking on, or have recently been involved in, re-
tendering, especially if you are taking / took an un-orthodox or output
based approach.  I'd also be interested to hear from anyone working on any
of the specific subjects outlined above.  We're very willing to share our
experience so far and would welcome learning from others.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Ciara Eastell
Principal Assistant County Librarian
Somerset Libraries Arts and Information Service