Roy Poses wrote:

> professes extreme relativism.  This notion that there is no truth out there
> is profoundly anti-scientific.  (Plus, would you believe anyone who starts
> out by saying there is no such thing as truth?)

I apologize for jumping in after having been away from the list for
several months, but I would like to make the point that we are searching
for the best available evidence, not for the truth. Indeed, the whole
process of EBM/HC is to me the best way to deal with a world of
uncertainity, where the choice supported by the best evidence today
might be different tomorrow. Or maybe even today,  for a patient with
different preferences and expectations.

So it is not disturbing to me if somebody does or does not believe that
the truth exists, as far as he/she acknowledges that criteria for
identifying the best available evidence "around the care of our patient"
(to use postmodern jargon :-) do exist, within the specific framework of
the preferences and values of our patient.

regards,
Piersante Sestini