UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-DAVIS.

The Department of Sociology seeks to appoint two faculty positions in
historical and comparative sociology to begin July 1, 2004.

One position will be at the assistant- to associate professor level and the
other at the associate- to full professor level.
We seek scholars with exemplary publication records in historical and
comparative sociology, strong teaching records, and an interest in being
actively involved with the graduate training and programmatic activities
of  the UC Davis Center for History, Society, and Culture (CHSC).

We will consider scholars working on diverse topics and using various
methodologies   of comparative historical sociology.  Depending on their
interests,  applicants at associate level or above may also want to be
considered for  the Directorship of the CHSC.  The CHSC offers an
interdisciplinary graduate  program in Social Theory and Comparative History
as well as lectures,
 colloquia, research clusters, workshops and conferences for faculty and
graduate students in the social sciences and humanities.  The Director of
CHSC receives compensation and some reduction in course-load negotiated
with   the Dean of the Social Science Division.  Further information on CHSC
is  available at http//chsc.ucdavis.edu.  These positions are subject to
final  administrative approval.

We will begin reviewing applications after October 17, 2003, and we will
continue to consider applications until the
positions   are filled or closed.  To be assured consideration, all
materials should be   received by October 17.  Please send curriculum vitae,
statement of research  and teaching interests, samples of written work, and
the names of three
   references; if relevant, also send a statement on your interest in and
experience pertinent to the Directorship of CHSC.  Send materials to

Professor John Hall, Chair, Comparative Historical Recruitment Committee,
Department of Sociology, University of California, 1 Shields Ave., Davis, CA

The University of California is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer with a commitment to a
campus   climate that supports equality and diversity.