I thought that was clear, but perhaps it was not sufficiently so.

(Some of the replies are mixing two questions,  one about "crip theory",
and another about "crip" as a one-word colloquial term.  I am not
inquiring about the latter.  So, keeping those two questions apart, I
doubt if non-academics on the street are sending messages to the
universities saying to use a new term "crip theory".)

The question IS about -- when an academic decides what to call his or
her work, and makes a decision of calling it "disability studies" or to
use "crip theory" instead.  On what basis do people choose one or the
other?  Is something different meant?

Second application: If an educational event is labelled with the first
term or the second, is it inviting the same set of people?  Or does an
event label of "crip theory" suggest that one is aiming for a smaller,
more select, more "cutting edge" or whatever, group?

PS: The word "hegemony" has no connection at all to this inquiry, nor
does the concept of supporting academic elitism.  Great riffs, wrong
target.

Jim

are now located at: