Anne Marie

I think you also need to look at organisations who rely on bequests and
other types of donations and Govt funding but who provide all sorts of
services for people disadvantaged by marginalisation. I wear a reasonable
degree of cynicism but am also of the opinion that there are many people in
the world who genuinely see social justice as something worth working toward
and try hard to deliver services to marginalised groups including people
with a disability. As long as their service goals are aligned with the goals
of the people who use those services, with their ultimate aim being that
they no longer need to exist (as a provider of such services) then such
"charitable" services can serve as allies. It might be interesting to look
at the "vocational" motivation of some of religious organisations who
provide such services. Despite what anyone says, there are some damn good
ones out there "employing" some great people devoted to social justice and
politically astute who serve to maintain the dignity of the people they work
for.

Best regards

Laurence Bathurst
School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences
Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Sydney

PO Box 170
Lidcombe NSW 1825