posted for Julie Haynes  of the RGS/IBG:

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Please distribute the following message around the Forum.  Many t
        hanks.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:41:01 +0100

Dear List members

I have heard about your discussions on the RGS-IBG annual conference
earlier this month and wanted to let you know that the Society
welcomes the feedback. I know that Adam has responded regarding the
comments on format of the conference.

I thought it might be helpful to add a couple of comments on DDA and
childcare facilities.

Regarding DDA, those of you who attended will know that a listed
historic building is fraught with physical access problems.  The need
to improve access for disabled persons to the building, and to
activities and events within it, was one of the key reasons behind
the project to 'unlock the archives'.  The funding for this project
has enabled us to improve access greatly to all activities and, over
the next year, as the remaining building work is completed you will
see continuing improvements in access to spaces and to events. We are
always willing to try to help where we can, resources permitting,
such as with signing and other requirements for access, but
significant advance notice is often required to set up such
provision.

Regarding crèche provision, in Lorraine's absence on holiday it is
more difficult for me to respond about the details this year and she
might wish to comment on this when she returns. I know Lorraine was
keen to accommodate crèche facilities from the beginning and it is
the RGS-IBG policy to offer childcare support throughout the annual
conference.  I am not entirely sure why, in the end, this did not
happen but provision will be available in future years as a matter of
principle.

With best wishes

Dr Rita Gardner

Director

Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)

Julie Haynes

Executive Assistant to the Director

Royal Geographical Society

(with The Institute of British Geographers)

1 Kensington Gore, London  SW7 2AR

tel.  +44 (0)20 7591 3010

fax.  +44 (0)20 7591 3011

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

<mailto:http://www.rgs.org>http://www.rgs.org

This email may contain confidential or copyright information and is
intended for the addressee only.

If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or copy it
but inform the sender immediately.