Hello,
I've been holding back from joining in this discussion (and still am),
though I have found it extremely useful in clarifying my thoughts on what
we mean by "resource type". Thanks Aida for convincing me that type by
function and type by form of presentation are different.

If you are interested in this then you might find this reference interesting:
Educational Technology: Media for Inquiry, Communication, Construction, and
Expression
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~chip/pubs/taxonomy/index.html

I'm not suggesting it as basis for a list of Learning resource types in the
LOM, but I think the difference in what is listed in here and what we have
been considering as learning resource types might shed some light on what
we consider to be a Learning Object/Resource as opposed to a more general
Educational Technology Resource.

Best, Phil.

--
Phil Barker                            Learning Technology Adviser
      ICBL, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences