Today I was looking at old numbers of PMLA on microfilm, and found this by
accident: B. B. Gamzue, "Elizabeth and Literary Patronage," PMLA 49 (1934):
1041-49. The conclusion is pretty hard: "it is clear that the reputation of
Elizabeth as a patron of letters and learning, has been derived not from
her deeds, but largely from legend based upon the many adulatory
dedications to her. No such reputation probably was ever more cheaply
bought" (1049). No doubt there were extenuating circumstances (no money,
bad year for pearls, what have you). But -- Ouch! (Or should we say,
Ouches!)

David Wilson-Okamura        http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
East Carolina University    Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c