Hello,

I am forwarding a question asked on another list to see if anyone can help:

I’m writing up specs for a new or renovated archives building—and am cautiously optimistic that it might happen in my lifetime—but I’m not sure what the optimal flooring materials would be. I envision a storage area with mobile compact shelving, open records center-type shelving, map cases, tables, etc., and then public and processing areas (reading room, processing room, office and exhibit space, etc.). I read through previous postings to the listserv, and saw that epoxies or epoxy-acrylics, such as terrazzo, or a non-gassing resin coating, have been recommended for concrete floors. It was also recommended that concrete flooring be tested and treated before sealing to ensure that water vapor emissions are low and will not cause a moisture problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions for flooring for a storage area or experiences they would like to share?
How about the public areas? Which materials are the safest and most stable? Someone recommended indoor-outdoor carpet tile.
Thank you for your help!
Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)
http://www.msmary.edu/studentsandstaff/library/archives.htm

With thanks,
Reynold.

Reynold Leming
Commercial Director
Mint Business Solutions Ltd
** Websites, Bespoke Database Systems and Document Management Services **
Failand House, 22 Newbridge Road, Bath, BA1 3JZ
Tel: 01225 311993
Email: [log in to unmask]
Corporate Url: http://www.mintsolutions.co.uk
Information Url: http://www.thedocumentsite.co.uk

'From Information to Innovation'
Bespoke database solutions to knowledge-enable your business
http://www.mintsolutions.co.uk/pages.asp?p=8