Another consideration is to breakout the topic by Diagnosis/Screening, Intervention, Prognosis/Outcome, or Etiology and cross reference to the type of literature available to provide support for the clinical question - systematic reviews, vs meta-analyses, vs RCT, etc.  The student has the identify the category in which the clinical question fits, initiate a search that addresses the category and cross reference the search to a specific type of literature.  The last idea addresses the notion of  the quality of the literature.  Search engines such as Pubmed allow you to do both.  The categories correspond somewhat to approach suggested by Sackett.

Patrick Zerr wrote:
Hi Lucy;

For one thing they should be so grateful that you're helping them develop
this necessary skill.  Needless to say.......

One idea you could use is from the Problem Based Learning model.  Choose a
subject such as ankle sprain.

Break it down into different subjects such as anatomy, biomechanics,
injuries, surgery, rehabilitation, etc.  Then give the different tasks to do
for each of the subjects just mentioned.  Let me know how this works or if
you'd like more information.

This is similar to the sink or swim method that was referred to, but is more
important than open skull and pour in information that all to often
prevalent in academia.

Patrick Zerr
www.apluspt.com
The easiest way to prepare for the National PT Exam!
www.summitpt.com
Summit Physical Therapy; Tempe, Arizona