Nabil,

Not sure if you are the same Nabil that graduated from Manchester. If so how's it going buddy!!. Have you tried to recruit Multifidus. I have read that it has been able to reduce spondolysthesis in some cases up to a grade. Seems plausible given that is has segmental attachments to each and every Lumbar vertebrae. Hope it helps

Mike J. Mulrooney (P.T.)
Peninsula Health Care Corperation
Physiotherapy Department
PO Box 340
Burin, NL
A0E 1E0
>From: John Willenbruch <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: spondylolisthesis!
>Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:08:40 +1200
>
>I would agree that in a case where it appeared that if a person had a symptomatic discogenic problem and an asymptomatic spondylolisethesis limiting there extension would be unnecessary, and encouraging extension may even be advisable, but Nabil describes a situation with a symptomatic spondylolisethesis and no other pathology. I don't really understand why you would advocate either a McKenzie assessment or promoting extension in treatment epecially when it is painful.
>
>I may have got the wrong end of the sticvk from the abstract but isn't the extension treatment they talk about in Spratt et al a brace to prevent that movement rather than exercises to promote it?
>
>Cheers,
>
>John
>

> Dear Nabil,
>
> Regarding the 5 reps that all increased pain: that makes it (much) less likely that an extension regime will be helpful. But there is a catch: in case of (primarily) unilateral complaints, the side-gliding needs to be checked and (over)corrected first, before repeated extension. This is a basic McKenzie principle; otherwise there is a chance of sort of false-positive pain increase. (And to make things more difficult: that side-gliding should not be corrected in case of a ipsilateral latshift...)
>
> Nevertheless, it must be emphasized that McKenzie does not advocate an extension regime in all cases. In fact, while in adults with so-called non-specific LBP, 40% of patients found on-the-spot significant relief with repeated extension during a McKenzie assessment, 7% did so with repeated flexion (1). Let's presume that those who do not find on-the-spot relief would still respond to a 3-day trial, and divide them according to the found percentages, that means that in theory a significant percentage (> 14%) should be treated with a flexion regime, not with an extension. At that's exactly what McKenzie therapists do, with respect to ROM-exercises and posture correction: assessment first.
>
> Add to that that I'd think that those percentages could well be reverse in juvenile spondy-correlated LBP, and see that the only reason why I responded to John's message was that one should not *exclude* or prohibit extension in juveniles without prior assessment. That assessment, however, should be done in full and correctly; otherwise it is no use.
>
> Regarding the stabilization: have you build in enough static moments, and have you given her a home exercise program? The first can count on enough evidence to put the emphasis on it (2), and the second seems logical to me: twice a week isn't as effective as daily exercises.

> 2. www.ptitup.com | Archive & Search | Editorial June 2001 (free).
>

> F.J.J. Conijn, PT
> [...]

How to have fun with a phone - ringtones, logos, games, celeb voicemails & loads more here!