Dear Susan & Chris,

the "classic" treatment of this theme is, of course, Emile Male's multi-volume
work on medieval (mostly French) iconography, the 13th century volume of which
is redily available under the title _The Gothic Image_ (though there is a new
translation and edition, which is probably better than that older one).

however....

>I've found a very interesting article by Madeline Caviness, "Biblical
Stories in Windows: Were They Bibles for the Poor?", but I think much
of it is too detailed for my undergraduate students.

Madeline Caviness is an absolutely First Rate scholar, an accomplished expert
in stained glass (and her papers at Kalamazoo are not to be missed as well),
here probably thoughtfully reflecting on the validity Male Paradigm in light
of nearly a century's subsequent scholarship.

i haven't read this article, but i would imagine that Male's comfortable but
rather  simplistic synthesis comes in for considerable "fine tuning" in it.

the problem is that, while there are quite a few *articles* (like this one, i
expect) which offer quite different ways of looking at medieval iconography
(in a "secular" context like cathedrals), based upon detailed attention to
specific programs in specific places, as far as i know, no one has come up
with the kind of wide-ranging, comprehensive Synthesis of the sort which made
Male's work the "Bible" of medieval iconography for several generations --at
least in the Francophone and English-reading worlds.

list member Jim Bugslag is much more au courant on recent works in this area,
however, and perhaps he will weigh in with some suggestions which will
enlighten us all.

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]