Dear Colleagues,

At the moment, I am in the same situation as Phyllis:
on the road. But she told me how much some of you like
your "saints" with your morning coffee/tea. So I'm
sending the saints of 11 and 12 August at the same
time but in separate postings. Just postpone opening
the saints of the 12th till then. The same situation
will apply 15-17 August.
MG

Today (11. August) is the feast day of:

 Alexander Carbonarius of Comana (d. c. 275)
 Alexander was a philosopher,
 but to exercise his humility became a
 charcoal-burner.  He became bishop of
 Comana (in Pontus, Asia Minor) and was martyred by
 being burned, which
 seems appropriate for a charcoal-burner.

 Clare of Assisi (d. 1253)  Clare ran away from home
 to join St. Francis.
 I've always imagined her shock when she discovered
 that, instead of
 homeless wandering, begging, and preaching, she was
 going to be shut up in
 a nunnery.  Nevertheless, she did it very well,
 creating a "second order"
 of Franciscans---nuns living a cloistered life in
 poverty.  She and Francis
 founded the first house of "Poor Clares" in 1215,
 which Clare ruled with an
 absolute commitment to poverty for the rest of her
 life.  She is often
 shown in art holding a monstrance because of a story
 that she saved her
 convent from a raid by mercenaries with a
 consecrated host.

 Martyrs of Prague (d. 1420)  Four Sienese Servite
 friars were sent to
 Bohemia by the pope to help fight the Hussite
 "heresy."  They, along with
 sixty other Servites, were burned in their church at
 Prague--while singing
 the Te Deum.

Dr. Phyllis Jestice