Hi Rod
Thanks for drawing our attention to the these serious flaws in this
particular observational study. However, this should not make us write off
all observational studies to assess interventions, whether HRT or not.
Surely, the validity depends on  how well confounding has been looked for
and account taken of it. An editorial in the BMJ a few years ago drew
attention to studies comparing RCTs and observational studies of the same
treatments, showing how accurately the latter could perform against the
former

BMJ 2001;322:879-880 ( 14 April )
Any casualties in the clash of randomised and observational evidence?

Kev Hopayian