Subj:   Re: person centered planning...........
Date:   8/27/2003 12:13:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   <A HREF="mailto:Sabinorose">Sabinorose</A>
To: <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

Hi!

I agree with you, Sarah, that person-centered therapy starts from such a
position.  However, it is my understanding that most therapists are trained to use
such Rogerian philosophy to undergird good practice, no matter what model
they actually employ.

Unfortunately, this is not how the term is being used in working with
disabled people.  I can't say that is how it is everywhere, but from what I have
observed, it is usually just a way to dress up the same old medical model
practices in seductive clothes.  "Person centered" has become a trendy catch phrase
for business leadership training, corporate management training, rehabilitation
professionals, and is often just thought of as a way to provide a different
ambience to make the same old practices more palatable, which, I feel, can be
dangerous if a client is lulled into believing that the professionals have the
client as "expert," but, in reality, still impose a hegemonic medical model on
them.

Best,

Beth

Beth Omansky Gordon