HI, I agree that sticking to any theory rigidly is disastrous. This is why I
support Counselling psychology , as this aims to be integrative, in order to
fit the approach to the person rather than vies versa - Sarah.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bertha Mo" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: person centered planning

I hope this is not a distraction from the question.

I was introduced to Carl Roger in college. As an 18
year old, his  concepts intriqued me.  However, I was
too young and confused about the "white, upper middle
class culture, priviledged culture  " of a private
college that I was in to know what I wanted.  What
would have been extremely helpful would have been some
practicum which would have helped students
"experience" what the different therapeutic approaches
felt like and meant in our own life.

As a proponent of Action Research, I have learned that
the cycle  of planning, action, reflection and
adapation and planning, action...is really necesary to
resolving most human problems. Taking any approach and
interpreting it too rigidly is a formula for failure.

Another thought regarding person centred planning...
I just saw "Belonging", the film made by the Canadian
philosopher and social activist, Jean Vanier.  The
group was quite diverse, both English, French and
Cantonese/Mandarin speakers...acknowledged
developmentally disabled and not acknowledged...

Afterwards a new immigrant and Mandarin speaker said
to me that she just realized that language and social
unfamilarity was a disability which prevented her from
feeling like she belonged..much less articulate what
she needed or wanted. As part of the environment
around this person, I realized that in a person
centred approach, the onus is on me and others to find
out how to communicate and interact in a way which
would be helpful to her and not vise versa...but in
reality what we expect is for this new person to
adapt...which is totally opposite of a person centred
approach...However, what would be real useful if both
of us would be willing to change in the course of the
interaction.  Which is how an action research or
action learning approach would have us do...

Best,

Bertie Mo, Ph.D., MPH
--- Laurence Bathurst <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I would like to hear more on the person centred
> approach (which is a term I
> recall from the late-eighties), as it applies to
> people who, due to the
> severity of intellectual impairment or cognitive
> function, are not able to
> articulate their needs with the same reflective and
> prognostic apparatus
> that many of us use to make informed choices about
> how we would like things
> to be. I am au fait with the principles but am more
> interested in how such
> needs or wants are determined without intervention
> from advocates including
> family and "professionals" being deemed as
> interference, or projected
> interpretation?
>

> Best regards
>
> Laurence Bathurst
> School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences
> Faculty of Health Sciences
> University of Sydney
>
> PO Box 170
> Lidcombe NSW 1825
> Australia
>
> Please use home phone or mobile number
> Home Ph: 61 2 9818 2050
> Mobile Ph: 0407 069 441
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]

HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

> | Hi!
> |
> | I agree with you, Sarah, that person-centered
> therapy starts from such a
> | position. However, it is my understanding that
> most therapists are trained
> | to use
> | such Rogerian philosophy to undergird good
> practice, no matter what model
> | they actually employ.
> |
> | Unfortunately, this is not how the term is being
> used in working with
> | disabled people. I can't say that is how it is
> everywhere, but from what I
> | have
> | observed, it is usually just a way to dress up the
> same old medical model
> | practices in seductive clothes.  "Person centered"
> has become a trendy
> catch
> | phrase
> | for business leadership training, corporate
> management training,
> | rehabilitation
> | professionals, and is often just thought of as a
> way to provide a
> different
> | ambience to make the same old practices more
> palatable, which, I feel, can
> | be
> | dangerous if a client is lulled into believing
> that the professionals have
> | the
> | client as "expert," but, in reality, still impose
> a hegemonic medical
> model
> | on
> | them.
> |
> | Best,
> |
> | Beth
> |
> | Beth Omansky Gordon
> | Ph.D. Candidate
> | The University of Queensland
> | Brisbane, Australia
> |
> | In a message dated 8/27/2003 3:58:58 AM Pacific
> Daylight Time,
> | [log in to unmask] writes:
> |
> | > Subj: Re: person centered planning...........
> | > Date: 8/27/2003 3:58:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> | > From: <A

HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

=== message truncated ===