Dear WG Members,
I am pleased to announce that there have been 2 recent additions to the
distributed registry architecture - one at the University of Goettingen
(http://dbclear.sub.uni-goettingen.de/dcregistry/index.html) and one at
UKOLN (http://solo.ukoln.ac.uk/dcregistry/index.html).  Each of these
registries have implemented some initial extensions that are important to
their communities of practice.  The Goettingen registry includes the SSG-FI
(special subject guides) terms, and the UKOLN registry includes the RDN
terms and the RDN-OAI application profile.  It is reasonable to expect that
each of these registries will implement additional terms as their scope
becomes more clearly defined, and as terms that are important to their
communities of practice are identified.

I encourage you to take a look at these new implementations and to consider
if your locale or domain could also benefit from a registry.  Good
candidates are communities of practice that have created a large number of
metadata terms that are unique to their community (this could be a locale or
a domain).

The distributed architecture, and the services that enable inter-registry
cooperation, are on the agenda for the registry working group meeting to be
held at the upcoming DC-2003 conference in Seattle
(http://www.ischool.washington.edu/dc2003/).   I hope that all who are
interested in metadata registries will be able to attend this meeting.

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in the
distributed registry, or if you have questions, comments, etc.

Best Regards,
Harry Wagner
http://oclc.org/research/staff/wagner/