Rachel said:

> 3. Element: I would suggest acknowledging the ambiguity in usage.
>
> In 'general world of metadada', if there is such a thing,

[Whoo.... "metadada"... now that's a concept and a half... ;-) ]

> elements might well be defined as:
>
> Elements: the formally defined terms which are
> used to describe attributes or properties of a resource.
>
> By this definition all DCMI terms are 'elements'.
>
> However within DCMI 'elements' is frequently used as
> shorthand for the 15 core elements (and audience). I think
> this needs to be acknowledged in the glossary.

I agree with making the distinction between the more generic usage of
"element" to mean a property of a resource and the DCMI-specific use of
"element" to mean one of a specific set of properties managed by DCMI.

However, I'm not sure it's quite accurate to say that all "DCMI terms"
are "elements" in this more generic sense?

Following http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-namespace/

> A DCMI term is a DCMI element, a DCMI qualifier or term from a
DCMI-maintained controlled vocabulary.

My interpretation is that DCMI elements and DCMI element refinements are
both "elements" in the sense of the more generic definition (which I
think of as equivalent to "Property" in RDF), but DCMI encoding schemes
and terms from DCMI-maintained controlled vocabularies are not?

> 6. I think 'registry' should either point to 'metadata
> registry' (as this is how the term tends to be used within
> DCMI); or if you feel it appropriate use a wider definition
> for 'registry', something like 'a directory of metadata about
> schemas, services, or other particular categories of resources'.

Yes, I think we need to be more careful with our use of "registry". I
would actually like to see us use "schema registry" or "metadata schema
registry" (rather than "metadata registry") for applications like the
DCMI registry. To me, a "metadata registry" might provide access to
metadata about all sorts of resources... but maybe that's just me ;-)

Cheers

Pete