I think that CreativeCommons are promoting a usage of dc:rights that is
broken

http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/metadata/implement

because a "cc:Agent who holds the copyright on the resource" (their
definition), typically just someone's name, is *not* "information about
rights held in and over the resource" (our definition).

I tried to point this out to them here

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-metadata/2003-March/000098.html

but nothing has changed.

Is someone from DCMI advising CC?  The response from CC to my earlier
email would appear to indicate that Eric Miller is (or was)?

Do we agree their usage is broken?

Can we do something about it?

Currently, it looks to me as though CC are populating the semantic Web
with semantic nonesense - which doesn't do anyone any favours - certainly
not DCMI.

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933