Apologies for cross postings

CALL FOR PANELISTS
Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
March 14-19, 2004

Children’s Geographies Beyond the Academy
Organizers:  Cheryl Morse Dunkley (University of British Columbia) and
Robert Vanderbeck (University of Vermont)

Geographers who do research on children and childhood often express a
concern with improving children’s lives, but in what ways do our efforts

have impacts beyond the narrow confines of the academy?  In this panel
session, we will discuss strategies for communicating research on
children’s geographies to non-academic audiences and ask a number of
questions about the relevance of our work to the wider world.  How do we

make our research known to a wider audience?  Do researchers owe
something to the non-profits, schools, hospitals, youth groups, and
other institutions which provide them access to young people?  Can
research on children’s geographies positively influence children’s
lives, directly or indirectly?  In short, are children’s geographies
relevant to children?

Panelists could discuss issues including (but not limited to):
* communicating with policy makers
* action research on/with young people
* collaborating with practitioners, voluntary organizations, schools,
businesses, etc.
* ways of incorporating insights from research on children’ lives and
spaces into primary and secondary school curricula
* sharing research results with young people
* writing for popular sources

Interested individuals should email Cherie Dunkley
([log in to unmask]) or Robert Vanderbeck
([log in to unmask]) by September 8, 2003, with a short
description of your potential contribution to the panel.

Potential panelists should note that participating on a panel session at
the AAG annual meeting does not preclude you from also presenting a
paper in a paper session.

Cherie Dunkley
University of British Columbia

Robert Vanderbeck