Here are the quotations for this week, (August 10th to 16th)

1.      …Thanks to the khaki everywhere, the scene was not unlike that which one
might have seen on earth every evening of the old days outside the
refreshment room by the Arch at Victoria Station, when the Army trains
started…

2. …The passengers filed out - they and the waiting crowd devouring each
other with their eyes. Some. Misled by a likeness or a half-heard voice,
hurried forward crying a name or even stretching out their arms. To cover
their error, they would pretend they had made no sign and bury themselves
among their uninterested neighbours. As the last passenger came away, a
little moan rose from the assembly…

3. … "They are my own. The old women dream of me, turning in their sleep;
the maids look and listen for me when they go to fill their lotahs by the
river. I walk by the young men waiting within the gates at dusk, and I call
over my shoulder to the white-beards. Ye know, heavenly ones, that I alone
of us walk upon the earth continually, and have no pleasure in our heavens
as long as a green blade springs here, or there are two voices at twilight
in the standing crops. Wise are ye, but ye live far off, forgetting whence
ye came …"

The sources of last week’s extracts (August 3rd to 9th) are as follows.

1.      (…With a mallet and a pair of tweezers he knocked out mysterious wedges
of wood that released the forme, picked a letter here and inserted a letter
there…) This is from "The Last Term" in Stalky & Co.

2.      ( '…Look! The thing shines now within and without. God! That so much
should lie on a word…')  This is from "Proofs of Holy Writ",

3.      (…a tale from which pieces have been raked out is like a fire that has
been poked…)  This is from Something of Myself.

Good wishes to all, John R

PS Please also see the attached enquiry. Any help will be much appreciated.
Please email to Professor Luciuk (at [log in to unmask] ) with a copy to me.

Dear Mr Radcliffe:

I was told recently that, while a member of the Imperial War Graves
Commission, Rudyard Kipling proposed that each and every British grave
should be touched by the shadow of a rose at least once every 24 hours.
Certainly many of the Commonwealth cemeteries from the First World War
evidence that, but I am looking for a confirmation that this practice
was indeed a result of Mr Kipling's suggestion and, if possible, for a
source that I can cite, if need be. I am writing a short editorial about
Canada's contributions in the First World War and I would very much like
to be accurate about this point. Thank you in advance for any assistance
you can render. Regards.

Lubomyr Luciuk
Professor

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess