Hello, Spenserians. I'm hoping you can help me, since my dissertation seems to
be taking an unexpected (though exciting) turn. 8^)

I understand that the _View of the Present State of Ireland_ was included in the
State Papers. However, is there any evidence that his suggestions for handling
the Irish were heeded by later government officials, policy makers, or even
those among the merchant companies, either in Ireland, in establishing
subsequent
British colonies, or in establishing policy for the African slave trade? Did
Spenser have any real, long-term political effect?

Thank you, for any help or sources you may provide!

Jean Goodrich
University of Arizona

     Like as the Moone in foggie winters night,
     Doth seeme to be her selfe, though darkned be her light.