At 10:55 AM 7/30/2003 -0700, Jean Goodrich wrote:
>I understand that the _View of the Present State of Ireland_ was included
in the
>State Papers. However, is there any evidence that his suggestions for
handling
>the Irish were heeded by later government officials, policy makers, or even
>those among the merchant companies, either in Ireland, in establishing
>subsequent
>British colonies, or in establishing policy for the African slave trade? Did
>Spenser have any real, long-term political effect?

Have a look at Willy Maley, Salvaging Spenser: Colonialism, Culture and
Identity (New York: St. Martin's, 1997), ch. 6: "How Milton and Some
Contemporaries Read Spenser's View."

David Wilson-Okamura        http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
East Carolina University    Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c