On Churchyard's pension, see A. G. Chester, PMLA 1935, 902, and Roger A.
Geimer, 'Spenser's rhyme or Churchyard's reason: Evidence of Churchyard's
First Pension', RES 20 (1969), 306-09. Churchyard acknowledged the pension
several times - if you want the details, let me know - an amount close to
thirty pounds a year, which did not qualify him for the rank of gentleman. Bert