Hello Martin,

I watch with great interest the informative and lively interactions on this
listing and your recent posting has prompted me to provide some input. I
work in a Local Government council (over 530 employees) in Victoria,
Australia. I have recently created a Business Classification Scheme (BCS) to
reflect the Primary headings (categories) in the Local Government Disposal
Schedule which is issued by our State Government.  (Actually now called a
Local Government General Records (disposal) Authority.)

When the BCS is inputted into our EDMS, the disposal schedule will also be
linked to the file titles and be available on-line.  Hopefully the end
result is all e-files and e-documents created will automatically be
allocated a retention date and assist with the annual culling of inactive
and redundant e-records. This approach was also used when I worked for a
large local government council in Queensland.

The BCS will remain a "live" document and will be modified to best reflect
our political, business & community expectations. These changes will also be
advised to the creating authority of the LG disposal schedule for
consideration in their next review of the LG Disposal Schedule.

Is this methodology a possible shortcut to the creation of your BCS as they
are a lot of work and re-work to create & keep current.

Cheers,
Jeanette Inglis, ARMA
CORPORATE RECORDS MANAGER
City of Greater Dandenong, (Victoria, Australia)
(Chair, RecFind User Group, Victoria)
Ph: +61 (3) 9239 5307 BH
Mobile ph: 0413 043 108
Email: [log in to unmask]

If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or use of
the information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in
error please delete it immediately from your system and notify the system
administrator mailto:[log in to unmask]  Unless stated otherwise
any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.
Visit the City of Greater Dandenong website at www.greaterdandenong.com